Spanish verb GUSTAR conjugation
1. Gustar literally means to please and the thing that is liked is the subject of the verb. So if that thing is singular, you use gusta; if it is plural, you use gustan. The pronoun before the verb indicates the person or animal that does the liking:
Me gusta el gazpacho I like gazpacho
Nos gusta el vino tinto We like red wine
Te gustan las naranjas You like oranges
2. Gustar can also be followed by a verb, in which case you use gusta + infinitive
Me gusta comer marisco I like to eat seafood
Le gusta beber sangría He likes drinking sangría
3. To express dislikes, just put no in front:
No me gusta el café I don’t like coffee
No te gustan las galletas You don’t like biscuits
4. Gustar works like to please, so the subject of the sentence is what you like, while “the person” is the indirect object (Chocolat is pleasing to me: Me gusta el chocolate). Notice that in Spanish, the sentence is written backward. So in these sentences, we have to use obligatory an indirect object pronoun.
(*) «Vosotros» is used only in Spain, in America, it is preferred «les gusta/gustan«.
5. When you love doing something, you say Me encanta… or Me encantan… Encantar follows the same rules as gustar, so the verbs agree with the thing you love:
Me encanta la comida española I love Spanish food
Me encantan los vinos de Rioja I love Rioja wines
6. There are many other verbs like gustar and encantar. (Click to discover some of them).
7. All the examples above are in the third person singular and plural, as these are by far the most common. However, it is also possible to use this verb in other forms.
Creo que le gustas (I think he likes you).
But please be careful because, in this case, «gustar» means having a romantic feeling; you can click on the link to learn how to use the verb «gustar conjugation» this way.
8. You can conjugate GUSTAR in all the tenses in Spanish:
Les gustó la fiesta (the liked the party).
Te va a gustar la película (You will like the film).
Les han gustado mucho los cuadros (They have liked the paintings very much).
Me gustaría comprar una casa (I would like to buy a house).
Like and dislike in Spanish, revision
With this video, you will be able to clarify any doubt you still have about verb GUSTAR conjugation.